[Buddha-l] Question for academic teachers of Buddhism

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Jun 26 11:49:21 MDT 2008

Jackhat1 at aol.com wrote:
> ===
> The westerners (Thera)  I know try to follow the teachings of the  Buddha as
> put down in the suttas. They (I include myself here) haven't found a  sutta
> reference to a devotional practice so do probably neglect devotional  practice.
> Can you supply us with one?

As is well known the Buddha did not wish for his teachings to be written
down. As far as anyone can tell, the way in which his teachings were to
be propagated was by oral transmission. That transmission (again, as
best as anyone can tell) did not consist of a bare, rote recitation of
the Buddha's exact words - and then everyone being left to make up their
own mind about what was meant by those words. The oral transmission was
always accompanied by explanations - coming from those who had studied
the suttas for many years and had received approval from their own
teachers.

There is no basis in the suttas for treating Buddhism as a "scripturally
based" religion.

Curt