[Buddha-l] Question for academic teachers of Buddhism

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Thu Jun 26 11:33:46 MDT 2008

In a message dated 6/26/2008 12:01:35 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
rhayes at unm.edu writes:

The  former abbot of a Thai temple in Denver told me that most Thai monks who

come to America stay in robes for only a few months. The majority are
snapped
up by Thai women seeking husbands who have been monks. Thai women,  the abbot
said with a smile, prefer monks because they know they can  control them
better.
===
Interesting. Once I was in a sutta study group and two Thai ladies joined
up. They said they didn't

> The real problem, in my opinion, is not that Asian  Buddhists engage in
> devotional, ritualistic practices without "doing  meditation" - but
> rather that so many westerners think they can do  meditation while
> neglecting devotional practice.

Yet another  issue on which Curt, Stephen Batchelor and I are in full
agreement! I  would add that for many Asians their main practice seems to be
generosity  (dana). Westerners tend to regard this as an advanced practice
that only  buddhas should attempt.