[Buddha-l] Question for academic teachers of Buddhism

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Thu Jun 26 07:22:48 MDT 2008

In a message dated 6/25/2008 7:53:47 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
curt at cola.iges.org writes:

I think  the thing that gives it away is that the Cambodians usually
practice with  the Cambodians, the Japanese with the Japanese, etc. You
do not see  (please correct me if I am wrong) all the various Asian
Buddhists  gathering to practice non-meditation together. You see
linguistically/ethnically/culturally defined groups getting together to
practice a shared tradition. If you really wanted to share that
tradition with them - in many cases they would be happy to obliged - if
also somewhat bemused. But unless you speak their language, literally,
there is little chance of it working out very well
====
Yes, that is the case. They do get together to share a cultural and
spiritual heritage. My point was that around here these groups do not meditate  when
they get together-not that I am saying that they should. Their non-ethnic
counterparts in that lineage do meditate when they get together. I have  been at
gatherings where the ethnic and non-ethnic groups get together for food  and a
dhamma talk. Then, all (including the ethnic organizers of the gathering)
leave when the meditation session starts.

My experience with a local Thai temple has been very interesting. Most of
the ethnic monks do not meditate. Meditation retreats there are led by western
born monks and attended only by westerners. Some of the ethnic monks have been
 puzzled by  westerners' interest in studying the suttas and meditating.
They seem to feel our interests should be supporting the monks and going to the
ceremonies.

Jack