[Buddha-l] Question for acedemic teachers of Buddhism

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Jun 24 18:28:26 MDT 2008

Richard Hayes wrote:
> To be quite honest, I think it is a HUGE mistake for someone from the
> West to become a Buddhist if she was not exposed to Buddhist symbols,
> myths, images and practices from early childhood. Adulthood is much too
> late to try to learn and then make sense of a complex set of myths and
> symbols. Adulthood is a time to work on all the stories one was told as
> a child. I deeply regret that I never took time to do that. The result,
> I think, is that I have never become an adult in the tradition in which
> I was raised (atheistic secular humanism), and I have never developed
> more than a childish grasp of the religion I adopted as a young adult.
> Looking back on my own experience, I conclude: What a waste of life it
> is to convert to a tradition from foreign lands. In this I agree
> strongly with both Carl Jung and the Dalai Lama.

Personally I think HUGE mistakes have a certain appeal - compared to
puny little half-assed mistakes. HUGE mistakes at least tend to be
things one has done purposefully and with some degree awareness of what
one is doing. Why die the death of a thousand cuts when you take the
path of Cinnamasta and just whack your own head off and be done with it?

Also, if one manages to survive, HUGE mistakes make the best stories.

The real problem, though, is probably a biological one. By the time we
are adults we are biologically superfluous, except, possibly, as
caretakers for the the next generation. What we do with our spare time
past the age of 23 or so probably doesn't make one bit of difference one
way or the other. So one might as well make it interesting.

But actually as I think about it it occurs to me that during a certain
window of oportunity - say from 15 to 25 - we DO have a chance to seek
out and gain exposure to "myths, images and practices" that our parents
never dreamed of exposing us to.

Curt Steinmetz