[Buddha-l] Question for acedemic teachers of Buddhism

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Jun 24 10:34:25 MDT 2008

Joanna Kirkpatrick wrote:

> That comment was discriminatory, yes--but then all crit is
> discriminatory, including in your field, philosophy. Jack seems
> to  have been indicating that his comment wasn't meant to be
> "personal" against Prof. Eckel.

I'm not entirely sure what all that means or how it applies to the
discussion at hand. As I understand his question, Jack Hatfield was
asking whether it was common for academics to teach Buddhism in the way
he described Prof. Eckel's approach in the Learning Company series. As I
understand my response, I was saying "Speaking for myself, yes, that is
how I teach Buddhism in an academic context." Perhaps you can now
explain how you understand your contribution to this discussion, which,
as worded, is a little bit laconic and cryptic.

> Crit the idea, not the person (as Jesus is said to have said).

That is always good advice, even when it's said by a complete jerk.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy