[Buddha-l] Question for acedemic teachers of Buddhism

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Tue Jun 24 10:13:57 MDT 2008

In a message dated 6/23/2008 6:52:06 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
rhayes at unm.edu writes:

Any time  a university course on religion is taught in such a way that it
makes  followers of that religious tradition happy, it is not being
taught  properly. If people want to feel warm and fuzzy about some
religious  tradition, let them go to a church, a synagogue, a mosque or a
temple.  Classrooms have no room for such sentimentality.
=====
Do you believe that teachers of courses in religion have an obligation to
make it clear why a person not born into that religion and maybe from a
different culture might find that religion attractive?

By the way, I have been asked to perform that role in several local
comparative religion courses. I visit the class and present my views on  Buddhism. If
not asked, I will bring up why I became a Buddhist, how it may have  changed
me, how some of its practices might benefit those not interested in  changing
their present religion, etc.

Jack