[Buddha-l] Question for acedemic teachers of Buddhism

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 23 01:38:01 MDT 2008

Jackhat1 at aol.com schreef:
> Please don't take this as an attack. It is something that greatly concerns
> me not for myself but for those newcomers who could benefit from Buddhism but
> are driven away.
>

> Jack

 From a buddhist perspective I don't see why being a professor qualifies
for teaching buddhism. It qualifies only to describe the buddhist point
of view from a third person's prespective. In academic circles it was
for a long time OK to be a Christian and a professor of Christendom, but
it was ridiculous to be a buddhist and a professor of Buddhism, unless
of course if you were Asian, in which case you had to play the Jewel in
the Crown. John Reynolds and Edward Conze can testify to that. I have
had the priviledge to be a student of Tillman Vetters, and he surely
knows a lot about Buddhism, but he understand his cat better than a
Buddhist.

--

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms