[Buddha-l] H.H. The Dalai Lama on Stone and Karma

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sat Jun 14 15:09:14 MDT 2008

 Thanks Jim and Richard for once again demolishing the common
view of karma. I suspect like you it's an artifact of Hinduism,
left over in the original populations that eventually ended up as
Buddhists, where it is still found on a daily basis. The idea
that you are born deformed, ugly, mentally deranged, or poor, (or
anything not considered auspicious and beneficial), due to evil
acts done in a previous life, is very prevalent in both India and
Thailand (as well I suspect in the rest of southeast Asia; what
about Tibet?).

In India this idea is also used as religious justification for
being born in a low caste, or as an untouchable (dalit, harijan).
Unfortunately, still today many untouchables, having been
brainwashed and badly treated for centuries, have absorbed
identification with the aggressor and continue to believe it.
However, a heck of a lot of them no longer accept it, especially
those who converted to Buddhism under Ambedkar's leadership, or
who have joined up with political parties of resistance, or left
India.
Joanna