No subject

Mon Jul 21 19:59:37 MDT 2008

"Comments: If Ms Ng felt that Buddhism is fine other than the
idea of making offerings for blessings being a transaction, then
she had given up Buddhism for the wrong reason - because true
Buddhists know that offerings are made to remind themselves of
various aspects of the Buddha's teachings. Any blessings that
result comes from devotion and generosity in making offerings,
not out of expectations of blessings."

Well, most of the world's Buddhists, and people of other
religions that incorporate this model,  are not "true"
religionists, following your concept of "true Buddhists". Ms Ng
seems to be well aware that the attitude of transactional
relations between devotee and deity is indeed a prevailing
notion.

It's an almost universal human attitude of approach to a deity
(and for most people in the world, Buddha is conceptualized as a
deity, even if he isn't).The model is thus: I donate to you, I
spend money on offerings to you, building temples, etc, and so
you will I hope answer my requests or preserve me from enemies,
sickness, etc. If the personal element of the transaction in
Buddhism is absent, then expectations of earning tons of
(abstract merit), compensate just as well.)

In these situations (also found in any version of the Christian
religion that prays to saints), the relationship between devotee
and deity is one of patronage, echoing the familiar prevailing
power structures within the society in question. These societal
power structures are what is called patronage systems. There are
patrons--rich or powerful abbots, businessmen, zamindars, police
chiefs, etc-- and clients--those who need the help or support of
patrons.

This is the "way" of the world, if not the way of the Buddha.

Best wishes, Joanna