[Buddha-l] Linux as a buddhist practice

bshmr bshmr at aol.com
Wed Jul 23 13:22:45 MDT 2008

R Hayes,

>Richard Hayes: ... If it meets touch buddha-l specs, we may consider
allowing Mandriva users to subscribe (but only as moderated
contributers).

As it should be. Certainly, I should be moderated, as left-wing and
anti-authoritarian as I am. Only the foolhardy would risk some
egalitarian, commie, or atheist screed smacking their site/sight.

I do have, and use, the three 'ubuntu' One (8.04) series for 'rescue' &
trickery, demo & convert, etc. However, I do have, and use, older
versions of SUSe; so, I am un-trustworthy in addition to being foolish
enough to trust Novell's stewardship of acquired projects again.

NTYC: Yesterday, I began setting up a trial multi-OS boot (Mandriva,
SUSe, TBA, ...) each with multi-desktop/interfaces. Burns 40-50GB per
OS, sans source, with extra mount-points.

NTYC (continued): KDE's newest Menu scheme cause problems because I need
to see the hierarchy drilling down to the executable; there has to be a
Setting somewhere to not Overwrite/Replace.

>Richard Hayes: ... Richard probably thought that LIKED was short for
the first noble truth: Little Is Known Except Despair).

'Asides' are generally enclosed in brackets ([...]). BTW, DG! I grasp
it.  (-:

>Richard Hayes:... Ubuntu 8.04 LTS offers support until April 2013, the
year after Mayan prophecies predict that the world will come to an end.
Impermanence purists will prefer the ordinary Ubuntu distributions that
become obsolete every six months. ...

Those ancient brain surgeons, Kunstler, and now, 'et tu'?

>Richard Hayes: Disposable fountain pens! Ye gods, this taketh
impermanence too far and maketh me grumpy.

I speculate that the refillable fountain pens, for under $ 100 (USD),
consume disposable cartridges. OTT (Other Than That), me, too -- the
grumpy dynamic, that is.

Neighbors dispose of 4-5 full trash bags plus recyclables every week --
averaging over 2 full-sized trash bags person per household plus their
'bulk waste' heaps of mainly household items 2+ times per year. Whereas,
I seldom have a 'bird seed bag' full plus recyclables.

Richard, the Elder, Basham