[Buddha-l] Linux as a Buddhist practice

Alberto Todeschini at8u at virginia.edu
Wed Jul 23 12:22:32 MDT 2008

Richard Hayes wrote:

> NTIAOMBWDOLYU (Not That It's Any Of My Business Which Distribution of
> Linux You Use), but membership in the exclusive buddha-l club is limited
> to those who use Ubuntu Linux. KDE (or even XFCE) is strongly preferred
> but not strictly required. To be honest, I occasionally run Gnome
> myself, just for variety's sake. Ubuntu, as you know, is built on the
> Debian distribution. I've heard of Mandriva but don't know much about
> it. If it meets touch buddha-l specs, we may consider allowing Mandriva
> users to subscribe (but only as moderated contributers).

Since in other messages there was talk of statistics, I think we should have
a poll about what OSes those elusive Buddhists use, just to add some more
hard data to the situation.

I imagine that among Buddhists in America and Europe the use of Macs is
higher than among the average population.

<I learned of the Ubuntu distribution from a teenage girl, for
crying out loud. She told me, rightly it turned out, that Ubuntu is dead
easy to use. I tried it out anyway. And to my everlasting shame, I
actually LIKED it. (Oops, sorry about that. I forgot that words in
uppercase letters are reserved for abbreviated cliches. Richard probably
thought that LIKED was short for the first noble truth: Little Is Known
Except Despair).>

I have dual boot Ubuntu and Vista, though I haven't used the latter for some
8 months. Now I know that I can do absolutely everything I need (well,
computer-wise) with Linux.

Unless there have been drastic changes for the better in the last few
months, I should think that anyone doubting the first noble truth should
spend more time with Vista on a machine with 1GB of RAM.

Best,

Alberto Todeschini