[Buddha-l] how many buddhists...

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Jul 23 11:23:19 MDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: buddha-l-bounces at mailman.swcp.com
[mailto:buddha-l-bounces at mailman.swcp.com] On Behalf Of Richard
Hayes

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood because my department is undergoing
one of those periodic self-studies and peer review rituals that
administrators love so much. I'm so sick of seeing charts and
tables full of information on how many books, articles, book
chapters, book reviews, invited lectures, conference
presentations, teaching awards, thesis advisees and privileged
parking spaces all our faculty have to their credit that I retch
at the very idea of trying to quantify excellence.
(Excellence, as I'm sure you all know, is the only product that
universities sell. No department is ever merely pretty good, or
good enough for a poor state like New Mexico. Everything is world
class, as in Garrison Keillor's home town, where all the children
are above
average.)

Quantification, bah! If there is only one Buddhist in the world,
that's fine with me. (If I'm that one Buddhist, all the better.
But I'm not.) But what do I know? Only 0.27% of the penguins in
Tierra del Fuego agree with me.