[Buddha-l] a question to Shobogenzo

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Jul 16 12:13:18 MDT 2008

This reminds me of a funny story (I think it might even be true). Zen
Master Seung Sahn used to refer to koans as "mind mirrors" when talking
with his English speaking students. But everyone always thought he was
saying "mind meal" whenever he said "mind mirror" (because of his
pronunciation). People even invented their own explanations for this
very profound Zen teaching: working on a koan is like eating your
thinking mind - until it is all gone. Or something like that.

Seung Sahn was completely unaware of this misunderstanding until one day
he saw it in print. He asked someone to explain to him what "mind meal"
was supposed to mean - and the student, without thinking, just said
something like "but that's what you always say: 'mind meal'." Once Seung
Sahn realized the misunderstanding, he decided that he liked the phrase
"mind meal" even better than "mind mirror".

But "Ocean Meal Samadhi" sounds like some sort of organic breakfast
cereal, if you ask me.

Curt Steinmetz