[Buddha-l] U.S. Buddhism

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Jul 15 12:25:20 MDT 2008

For me the most appealing methodological approach is the
"phenomenological" one - which, if I understand correctly, is to count
anyone who self-identifies as a Buddhist - as a Buddhist. I think that
has the advantage of being very straightforward and objective (from the
standpoint of whoever is doing the counting). Obviously all survey data
is based on this methodology. But it presents a very sticky problem for
me personally, since my teacher insists that he is not a Buddhist! He
says that only someone born and raised in a Buddhist culture should be
counted as a Buddhist. Ugh.

The Pew Foundation stats ("US Religious Landscape Survey") are
interesting - according to them Buddhism, at 0.7%, is now the third
largest religion in the US right after Christianity  and Judaism. We
just narrowly beat out Islam, which came in at 0.6%.

Curt