[Buddha-l] Istituto Italiano per l'Africa e l'Oriente, (IsIAO)Petition

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Jul 15 12:06:14 MDT 2008

Dear Alberto,

Fancy Berlusconi, with his millions--has he endowed one single
cultural institution???
Italy has enough millionaires that they could easily take over
and support this venerable
institution, if they still had some class. (Our country is in the
same boat.)
As for your feelings about your country's leader, mine are the
same about mine! Shame, is the word. It's an emotion that is
supposed to make us go out and do better--but in the case of a
country's leader, ain't much we can do.....except count on karma
and anicca.

Best, Joanna
========================

 > Anyone know why this institute is being closed?
 > Joanna

Dear Joanna,

I follow Italian affairs closely, though I've been living outside
of Italy for 15 years and though Italian affairs are a perennial
source of embarrassment, especially when the fake-tanned,
plastic-surgery-and-hair-transplant junkie, lecherous,
law-bending Berlusconi is prime minister.

I don't know the exact answer to your question, but I know that
the government is cutting funds to just about everything,
including universities and cultural centers. These are, of
course, short of money already.

So in spite of an increasing need to educate Italians about
African and Asian matters, the venerable IsIAO (Buddhist scholars
may be more familiar with the previous IsMEO) is facing the axe.

Sic transit gloria mundi, or something.

Best,

Alberto Todeschini