[Buddha-l] Energy

Kate Marshall marshallarts at bigpond.com
Fri Jul 4 21:46:46 MDT 2008

>> From memory, Christianity does not posit creation out of nothing.
>> Christianity, along with Shaktism and others, posit that creation came
>> from
>> sound (the Word). Admittedly sound is "nothing" (no thing) in that it is
>> not
>> a physical thing in the normal sense. But it definitely has existence.
>>

> Creation ex Nihilo:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_nihilo
>
> This is a fundamental doctrine of the Catholic Church, the various
> Orthodox Churches and most Protestant sects: it was embraced by Luther
> and Calvin, and I think it is also accepted by the Church of England.
>
> From the early years of the Church this was considered one of the key
> distinctions between Christians and Pagans. But in a break with
> tradition, over the last two hundred years or so, people who doubted
> this doctrine have been allowed to live.

Thanks for the link, Curt.  I don't know anything about Islamic views so
found that part particularly interesting.

As for creation ex nihilo, from the 8 biblical quotes given the following
two directly support my above comments:

1. Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of
God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
2. By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them
by the breath of his mouth.
Also a number of the quotes seem to use the terms Word, breath, and, spirit
interchangeably, which further support the views mentioned in my previous
post.

I don't see anything in the quotes that contradicts my comments in any big
way.  The difference I do see is that the term "nothing" as used in the link
could be taken to mean the absence of the tangible and the intangible.  I
tend to use "nothing" as no-thing, ie an absence of the tangible but a
presence of the intangible.

To me, sound (the Word) has presence even though it isn't tangible.  I can't
see how any thing said to be created from sound can be said to be created
from nothing. Sound is something.  I find the stance of Creation ex nihilo
as presented in the link contradictory.

Kate