[Buddha-l] Energy

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Jul 4 09:51:29 MDT 2008

Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> It matters for theologians. If matter is eternal, there's no
> Creator-God, because in that case the universe is not created. If
> momentum is conserved there is room for a first push, of course given by
> the Big Pusher.

I think it only matters to Christian and perhaps also Islamic
theologians. I know of no other theologies that posit "creation" out of
nothing. And of course there are even Christians who have wisely
abandoned the idea.

Physicists do not do ontology - but they do provide constraints on
ontology. Anything that is posited to exist, especially if it is posited
as an "ultimate", must be somehow reconcilable with what is known,
scientifically speaking, about the physical world.

Any genuine conservation law, in the physical sense, argues against the
need for a "creator". And rather persuasively at that.

Curt Steinmetz