[Buddha-l] Question about Chinese orthography

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Jul 3 10:28:37 MDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 06:29 -0600, Perennial Favorites wrote:

> And btw, "does a dog have buddha nature?" was the koan that made me want to
> avoid koans.

If you really put your mind to it, you can avoid koans for decades. I've
managed to practice Buddhism for forty years (including a decade of Zen)
without brushing up against a koan. The one about the dog had the same
effect on me as it reportedly had on you. After all, how much sense does
it make to ask a question about a dog and then get the answer "Mooo"?

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy