[Buddha-l] Emptiness

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Tue Jul 1 15:27:07 MDT 2008

In a message dated 7/1/2008 4:22:44 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
curt at cola.iges.org writes:

ackhat1 at aol.com wrote:
> I will stick by my analysis for now.  There are 82 ultimates according  to
> Thera's Abhidhamma. They  are: consciousness, 52 mind constituents (for
example,
> effort),  nirvana and 28 forms of matter. Hardness, smell and color of
wood
> are forms of matter. According to the Abhidhamma, these ultimates  cannot
be
> reduced further. Ultimates do arise and pass away.  Yes, the whole point is
> reduce clinging.

I do not think that orthodox Theravadins claim  that these things are
genuinely "ultimates" in the strongest sense (for a  Buddhist) of being
permanent, unchanging, and simple (non-composite). I  think the
Sarvastivadins, or some branch thereof, may have,  though.
===
They are defining "ultimates" in a different way than you are. As I said
above, ultimates as they are using the term are not unchanging and  permanent. I
could provide Abhidhamma references if anyone is interested.

Jack