[Buddha-l] Question about Pali Term

Michael Essex mgessex at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 09:29:04 MST 2008

I hope someone can help. I am doing a presentation on using Buddhist
concepts in psychotherapy.

I am interested in the term mindfulness. It is frequently used in
Buddhist influenced therapies. This particular use seems to stem from
the translation of sati used in the "Heart of Buddhist Meditation".

 I am most familiar with the Tibetan presentation of the development of
shamata (zhi gnas) in 9 stages. Two key elements are dran pa (from SKT
smriti, Pali sati) and shes bzhin (SKT samprajanyam, sorry I don't have
the Pali)

The way in which "mindfulness" is used by therapist seems to conflate
the ideas of dran pa and shes bzhin.

Anyway I am interested in whether this use of dran pa and shes bzhin
(of course in Pali) is similarly contained in Theravadin literature on
the development of samatha. Can someone point me to good sources?

thanks

Mike