[Buddha-l] Re: Maitreya statue discussion

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Wed Feb 27 12:10:39 MST 2008

jkirk wrote:

> =============
> Quite so. I already suggested the corruption in my original comment about
> this FPMT project--that if local farmers supported it, they were no doubt
> PAID under the local patron-client system, because the majority of the
> locals villagers oppose the dang thang. Those folks don't want to lose their
> land, not be compensated porperly, nor offered low-grade land for
> cultivation elsewhere. The same thing happened when the Narmada Dam
> displaced thousands of villagers--the government, in that instance, never
> did successfully compensate and relocate those tossed off their lands.
> FPMT megalomania, as already suggested, seems to be THE word for the
> ridiculous waste of money and display of condescending magical thinking
> (e.g, "karmic imprints").
>
> Joanna K.

Wonder what they mean by "farmers"? - pretty much the only people that own land
in that neck of the woods are upper caste landlords & zamindars. My guess is the
majority local people & villagers are either share-croppers or bonded
laboureres. They probably don't actually own any land that anyone is going to
compensate them  for in the first place.

I guess the FMPT probably think these people are suffering because they didn't
earn enough merit in previous lives (by doing things like making or venerating
statues).

Cripes to get their merit why can't the FMPT just visualise giant Buddhas and
clouds of offerings and spend all this money and energy on something that
actually relieves the suffering of sentient beings.

- Chris