[Buddha-l] Re: Maitreya statue discussion

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Wed Feb 27 10:40:05 MST 2008

Sally McAra wrote:

> The FPMT argue that the bigger the statue, the greater the merit (more
> atoms dedicated to the cause, more money donated, so more donors making
> money, more fame means more people see it and so they get karmic
> imprints etc etc).

Well if they want to spend that much money and use that many atoms perhaps
100,000 smaller statues (1/100000 of the size) would be a friendlier way of
doing it. They could then distribute these round the world so everyone could see
one.

But I guess then it wouldn't be such a monstrous spectacle and it wouldn't be so
famous.

Corruption is absolutely rife in the area of India where they want to build
this. It seems unimaginable that anything like they propose could get built in
that part of India without huge bribes being paid all the way down the line.

- Chris