[Buddha-l] "Free and Easy" Vajra song

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Wed Feb 27 10:12:28 MST 2008

Gang,

Thanks to Robert Leverant for Gendun Rinpoche's doha. I see how it
flows from our back-and-forth on impermanence and attachment. How
interesting that it caused a stir. (And good catch, Bob Zeuschner on
the "free and easy" title!)

Commenting on Dan Lusthaus's thought experiment of a comatose person,
Joanna Kirkpatrick asked

>> Well--under such circumstances, what good would a description of
>> one's
>> condition do for one or for anybody else?

and Dan Lusthaus replied

> Exactly!

I'm sorry but I'm lost. It's clear that Dan is disgusted with the
doha, and it also seems Joanna is dubious about it. But it seemed
fairly mainstream to me, and I could make a case--I *won't*, but I
*could*--that such an approach to experience might be liberating for a
person trapped in a coma yet perhaps able to have coherent mental
states. What is it about this piece that so vexed you, Dan?

Franz