[Buddha-l] Being in Love

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Mon Feb 18 16:29:48 MST 2008

Gang,

I'm with Bob and Curt.  Seems to me that the power of love, even
secular love, to transform us is simply undeniable. The Buddha's
relative silence about it gives us permission to go to a place he
couldn't. He didn't say much about capitalism or caviar or attachment
theory, either. I think we're permitted to make our own inferences. In
fact, this is our duty.

Sure, I don't expect the Buddha was much of a fan of possessive love,
but then neither am I. Still, that comes with the territory of living
with a woman who has given me half of her life, who carried our
daughter in her womb, and who breaks the crust of my ego every day. I
sure wouldn't trade her for the rhinoceros lifestyle. No doubt Joanna
is right that this sort of thing just wasn't part of the emotional/
cultural vocabulary in the Buddha's time and place. He wouldn't have
chosen it, anyway. But I am not he. Not by a long shot. So, we all
just keep stumbling along.

Franz