[Buddha-l] Being in Love

[DPD Web] Shen Shi'an shian at kmspks.org
Mon Feb 18 00:55:17 MST 2008

I forgot the sutta in which the below was recorded (Does anyone
know?)...

A Queen asked the Buddha how she could be with the king life after life.
(Yes, probably the romantic "happily ever after" option.) The Buddha
gave an ingenious reply. He said that the couple should practise the
Dharma and match each other in virtue.

My interpretation is that this creates similar positive karmic
affinities, which would attract the couple together life after life. If
not, say the wife is virtuous while the husband is not, they might not
even be reborn in the same realm - the extreme being a heavenly rebirth
for the first and a hellish one for the latter.

The Buddha's answer was ingenious because it did not refute the romantic
notion of being in matrimonial bliss in the worldly sense, while it
urges spiritual cultivation - which would in time lessen the worldliness
of the relationship. "Cunningly" skilful way of teaching!