[Buddha-l] new book + being in love

Wong Weng Fai wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg
Sat Feb 16 20:01:21 MST 2008

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008, jkirk wrote:

> This idea is again nicely captured by Bhikkhu Bodhi: 'Nibbana
> cannot be reached by backing off from a direct confrontation with samsara to
> lose oneself in a blissful oblivion of the world.'

Unfortunately this is also the excuse for lots of scandals and abuses.
Guru to student: "I need to have sex with you. You do want to reach
nirvana, no? Then that's the way."

A group of Japanese monks was reported to have performed chanting in
karaoke bars as entertainment. They said that this is how, by reaching out
to samsara, one should propagate the Dharma in the spirit of the
bodhisattvas. After that of course, they joined in the drinking too.

Weng-Fai