[Buddha-l] Bowing to the monk

[DPD Web] Shen Shi'an shian at kmspks.org
Thu Feb 14 21:39:59 MST 2008

This brings many thoughts to mind...

A Master who cannot bow to a disciple
cannot bow to Buddha. -Suzuki Roshi

(It's truly humbling to see the great being truly humble.)

One loses respect by demanding for it,
especially when one has yet to earn it. - Stonepeace

"I do not despise you, for you will become a Buddha."
- Bodhisattva "Never Despise" (Lotus Sutra)

One is more likely to be respected when one is respectful,
especially to the extent that one does not lose respect -
even when being disrespectful to. - Stonepeace
________

It's easy to mistaken others' fear of your power as respect for you.
It's easy to mistaken your fear of others' power as respect for them.

The respectable about another is whether one is in line with the Dharma.
The more in line one is, the more worthy of respect one is.

Are we respectable enough for ourselves?
Are we respectable enough to others?
_________

I feel somewhat unbalanced when monks and nuns I greet by placing my
palms together give a nod or some other gesture of acknowledgement,
instead of greeting with palms in return. Makes me suspect that they
think they should be venerated, out of their subtle pride. Of course,
this is an assumption.

But it also makes me think that I crave for some respect to be reflected
back to me. It's equally disturbing? No, the latter is worse. And this
can be curbed by humbling myself, by greeting others with palms together
more often - be they lay Buddhists, monks or nuns!

By the way, those we place our palms together to greet do karmically
deserve the respect they get because they do get the respect! How they
perceive being respected is another matter. - Zyrius
______

Friend's case study of monastic pride:
http://moonpointer.com/index.php?itemid=1954