[Buddha-l] Making a living

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Feb 13 20:16:26 MST 2008

...Life is rarely black-and-white. I guess even genuinity is a gradation.
Worse, it is constantly varying. At times, for example, I find myself more
genuine and at times, not.

I am certainly not adverse to the idea of making a living by propagating the
Dharma. In fact I think it IS a right livelihood (being a harpoon gunner on
the Japanese whaling fleet is *NOT*) - provided it is not taken to the
extremes, such as the filthy rich TV evangelists in America with their
lavish lifestyle.

Having said that, there are certainly, as you admitted, potential conflicts
of interest. I guess the way out is to set one's motivation straight and act
in moderation.

What irks me are those who are do the above and then expect to be treated
with the same veneration as members of the Bhikkhu and Bhikkhuni Sangha. In
the wider sense, we are all members of the Buddhist Sangha but (called me a
fundamentalist if you like) to me the ideal and commitment of the Bhikkhu
and Bhikkhuni Sangha (though sadly often not met in reality) goes beyond the
material value of Dharma propagation. So a renowned lay preacher (or
professor of Buddhism) is different from a monk sweeping the floor in a
mountain monastery. I treat them both with respect but of different kinds.
Even though the latter may be far less knowledgeable (or even practiced)
than the former, while I would warmly shake the hand of the former, I would
bow my head to the latter.

Weng-Fai
Weng Fai wrote:
"I am certainly not adverse to the idea of making a living by propagating
the Dharma. In fact I think it IS a right livelihood (being a harpoon gunner
on the Japanese whaling fleet is *NOT*) - provided it is not taken to the
extremes, such as the filthy rich TV evangelists in America with their
lavish lifestyle."

Perhaps making a living from propagating the dharma only runs into trouble
when those things that should be offered free, the teachings, are offered in
exchange for money. However, Centers and such have acceptable ways to
support themselves that do not involve charging for the teachings. Charging
for room and board is OK by me--what's wrong with it? As some pointed out,
there ARE costs and these have to be met. However, as noted above, there are
gradations in everything...some outfits are so lavish they obviously attract
very rich folks, while others are fairly basic.

I have objected (although I paid up) to retreat leaders coming right out and
asking for dana--IMO, any dana for the teacher should be part of the price
of taking the retreat. Let the Centers otherwise solicit dana with their
fund-raising efforts, not come down on the retreatants for handsome
donations. This angle commercializes the whole thing at a time when
everybody is feeling like they got something beneficial out of said retreat.
It's deleterious crudity. Or "spiritual" cruelty.
I can't imagine the Buddha, after giving a teaching, holding out his hand
and saying, "Come on folks, pay up--I have to put Rahula through higher
education, and pay alimony as well."

Best, Joanna

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9:41 AM