[Buddha-l] Making a living

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Wed Feb 13 10:34:41 MST 2008

Gang,

Wong Weng Fai just declared,

> One who practices art so that they can earn enough money to get on
> with their real life is not a true artist. Similarly, one who
> preaches wisdom and compassion so that they can earn enough money to
> get on with their real life is also not genuine.

I agree with you, Weng Fai, if you mean that the means here is art or
preaching and the end is getting on with real life. But I hope you
don't mean that if the end is spreading the dharma, and the practice
of that provides support for real life, that too is not genuine. That
is too high a standard as someone, somewhere, must foot the bill for
the real life of those spreading the dharma. If it is not the
listeners, it will be others. Is it not fair for those benefiting most
to contribute most? If not, then who should do it? (How about the
government? I've considered applying for one of my outgoing [!]
president's faith-based community initiatives. After all, what is
faith but confidence in the dharma, and who can argue that "community"
is in fact "sangha"? I'm a shoo-in!)

I write these comments with some reservation, as I've always so deeply
appreciated the "free" offering of dharma and been creeped out by high
costs for dharma retreats and memberships and so on. If I believe the
dharma should be free, I can hardly expect listeners to pay. But if I
believe that real life must and shall require payment, then someone
will have to supply it. Who else might it be? I am trapping myself in
yet another papanca.

Oh, and in the interest of full disclosure, my real life is funded in
good part by royalties from my attempts to spread the dharma. You may
thus discount anything I say.

Franz