[Buddha-l] Three Buddhist "Magicians"

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Wed Feb 13 07:51:10 MST 2008

Alex Wilding wrote:

> Some occasional members of this list will certainly know much more than I
> do, but perhaps to get you started I think that typically:
> 1) Gomchens - I suppose we could say "big practitioners" or "big meditators"
> - are noted for having done large amounts of extremely intensive practice,
> generally in close retreat. Quite often they might have been monastics, but
> at any rate would spend, or have spent, many years in close, probably
> solitary, retreat, perhaps in a cave or retreat hut.

I don't know how much practice is implied since in Bhutan there are many young
boys wearing maroon clothing - some only seven or eight years old - also called
"Gomchen". There are even a couple of schools for these young "Gomchen".

OTOH I don't recall having ever heard Naljorpa or Ngagpa applied to children.

- Chris