[Buddha-l] Prapanca

Weng-Fai Wong wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg
Tue Feb 12 23:28:43 MST 2008

Randall wrote...
> How did the Buddha make his living?

MAJJHIMA NIKAAYA III

III. 1. 3 Kintisutta.m.
(103) What do you think of me.

I heard thus.

At one time the Blessed One lived in Kusinaaraa, in a stretch of forest in
Baliharana. From there the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus.'Bhikkhus, do
you think, the recluse Gotama proclaims this Teaching to gain, robes,
morsels and dwellings?'

'Venerable sir, it does not occur to us the recluse Gotama proclaims this
Teaching to gain, robes, morsels and dwellings.'

'Bhikkhus, you see that the recluse Gotama does not proclaim the Teaching to
gain robes, morsels and dwellings, is there a reason to proclaim the
Teaching?'

'Venerable sir, it occurs to us, the Blessed One proclaims the Teaching out
of compassion.'

'Bhikkhus, it occurs to me, the Blessed One proclaims the Teaching out of
compassion....'

The Buddha did not "make a living" - esp. not by teaching. In particular, he
did not have the motivation "I shall teach the Dhamma and will collect my
just financial returns from those who listened."

W.F. Wong