[Buddha-l] Prapanca

Bhavana House bhavana at bhavanahouse.org
Tue Feb 12 16:38:20 MST 2008

Dear Richard,
It seems to me that reading the Madhupindika Sutta (MN 18) and Thanissaro
Bhikkhu's introduction may help in understanding what papanca is.
Let me quote a short appetizer from that introduction:

In MN 18, the map is this:

  contact > feeling > perception > thinking > the perceptions & categories
of papañca
In this last case, however, the bare outline misses some of the important
implications of the way this process is phrased. In the full passage, the
analysis starts out in an impersonal tone:

  Dependent on eye & forms, eye-consciousness arises [similarly with the
rest of the six senses]. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact
as a requisite condition, there is feeling.
Starting with feeling, the notion of an "agent" - in this case, the feeler -
acting on "objects," is introduced:

  What one feels, one perceives (labels in the mind). What one perceives,
one thinks about. What one thinks about, one "papañcizes."
Through the process of papañca, the agent then becomes a victim of his/her
own patterns of thinking:

  Based on what a person papañcizes, the perceptions & categories of papañca
assail him/her with regard to past, present, & future forms cognizable via
the eye [as with the remaining senses].
What are these perceptions & categories that assail the person who
papañcizes? Sn 4.14 states that the root of the categories of papañca is the
perception, "I am the thinker."

Metta,
Itamar