[Buddha-l] Prapanca

Weng-Fai Wong wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg
Tue Feb 12 19:16:00 MST 2008

Piya wrote...
> Your level of prapa~nca (Pali papa~nca) is inversely proportional to your
> understanding of Buddhism (as Buddha Dharma).

I am not sure if I agree with this statement. I just received a letter from
an old friend in Japan. He lamented that in Japan, the "monks" are really
making a livelihood out of teaching/preaching. Practice is not expected.
Therefore, the emphasis is on the academic understanding of Buddhism while
the practice of it is essentially superficial and "in-form" only. I have
also met many fine professors of Buddhism who aren't practicing Buddhists
(or even nominally Buddhist, or even want to be called "a Buddhist").

I guess it is a case of "those who can't do, teach."

W.F. Wong