[Buddha-l] Buddhism in Israel

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Tue Feb 12 11:28:03 MST 2008

Somewhat off the subject, but perhaps relevant, is that a very high
percentage of my Zen friends are Jewish, and many are "practicing"
jews. This has given me the opportunity on several occasions to eat
bitter herbs with the families of friends.

I doubt that it is possible for some of the Islamic, or the Baptist,
faiths to express an interest in Buddhism in public. I was invited to
a book club in Idaho Falls where thy were reading about Buddhism (I
have forgotten the book -- I didn't stay very long) where the point
of reading about Buddhism was to demonstrate that the Buddha was a
proto-mormon -- which he might have been for all I know.  They read
the big 5 works of Plato with the same intent.

But at least they didn't kill people for having books.

Jim Peavler
jmp at peavler.org