[Buddha-l] Re: The mess in America

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Feb 11 09:30:52 MST 2008

On Monday 11 February 2008 08:40, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> Jeez! You'd think I'm encouraging honor killing. What a twisted comment!?!

What a twisted reading of my perfectly straightforward comment!?! I should
think that by now you would know that I know you are not the sort of person
who encourages honor killings. What I was suggesting was that you apparently
love to REPORT honor killings. (That appearance is perhaps misleading, but it
is created by the fact that you do report them from time to time and then say
about people who are not particularly interested in those reports that they
are not in touch with reality.)

> Making twisted fun of me won't save a single woman's life. Very
> compassionate!!!

If reporting honor killings on buddha-l is saving the lives of women, then by
all means continue to report them. Oddly enough, it has not shone through
your messages that your principal concern is with saving the lives of women.
What has shone through more strongly is an apparent eagerness to sound an
alarm by portraying some people as killers of women and therefore as
undesirable immigrants.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy