[Buddha-l] FW: Maharishi Mahesh Yogi dies

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 8 13:15:08 MST 2008

S.A. Feite schreef:

> On Feb 8, 2008, at 1:03 PM, Jackhat1 at aol.com wrote:

>> wonder what the problem I had and others had was all about.
>

> According to these Saraswati order people in Tennessee, what they are
> claiming is that some TM practitioners are experiencing an unbalanced
> kundalini arousal, often apparently into the vajra-nadi--a
> non-culminating path. It's been said by some of the people I've spoken
> to that they believe the imbalanced arisings are deliberate as it
> makes people very disconnected, susceptible and easy to manipulate.
> Because the mantra repetition tends to awaken shakti, if one doesn't
> apply the correct bandhas, mudras, etc. the kundalini-shakti will take
> the path of least resistance up the vajra-nadi.
>
> -Steve
Sorry Steve,

I just don't buy that shakti-shit, it's just to much myth. I witnessed
two typical cases of TM going sour. One was when I was in a TM-retreat.
A guy developed agression and mental imbalance after a few good
meditations. The staff didn't want to help him. With two other guys we
calmed him down and talked him into just taking it easy in his room for
a day and leaving.
I was trained to be a helper and heared it was quite normal that people
became so sensitive for meditation that even sitting stil with their
eyes closed was to much. Later I met a girl who told me she experienced
a wonderfull meditation during a weekend retreat, only to fall into a
deep depression next day with periods of restlesness and paranoia. The
staff locked her into a room on the second floor and she jumped out of
the window, breaking her ankle. The worst was however she needed
psychiatric care for more then a year. Nothing about an itching back.
My own experience is that TM does bring you down in rather deep samadhi
rather quickly and shortly, because the bhija suppresses thoughts. Most
people however have to many thoughts and nothing happens. If samadhi
does happen a bad trip can occur, because there's no mindfulness, so no
control by the meditator. Everything that happens catches you by
surprise. I had my bhija extended for a small fee in order to slow down
the proces. I meditated quite a lot, but I guess I was lucky. The bhijas
are the common ones from tantric hinduism, like aim, hrim, klim, etc.
The initiation doesn't have much effect in my experience and is very
short, it is just a prayer of gratitude to the parampara, the lineage.
The other day I saw some TM-people being interviewed and they still
bragged about the Maharishi effect, if more then 10% of the population
is doing TM, the crimerate should go down. At the time I knew a student
in criminology and there was a village in Holland where 14% of all
people were meditating that way. So he carried out an investigation into
the effects. It appeared that since the critical threshold had been
reached, crime had gone up a few percent. Of course his inquiry was not
accepted by the TM movement, but it was enough for him to get graduated.

--

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950