[Buddha-l] Maharishi Mahesh Yogi dies

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Feb 8 12:29:42 MST 2008

Since everyone seems to be confessing their former
relationship with TM (TradeMark), I might as well confess
that I have never had any formal connection to it. I did,
however, have a cousin who was certified as a TM
instructor and instructed people for several years before
he left meditation in favor of cocaine. One time, breaking
all the rules apparently, he gave me a mantra and told me
to try it. He told me repeatedly that he was not supposed
to give mantras to people who had not paid for them, but
since I was family, and he thought I would benefit, the
rules could be relaxed a bit.

I got my mantra. I followed instructions. I meditated on
my mantra. I got the giggles. They started as little
involuntary squirts of air out my nostrils, and grew from
their to bellow-like wheezes and hoots and howls, that
became so enlarged that they transcended my body. In
short, I eventually fell over sideways on the floor and
laughed until my ribs ached and my lungs were burning.

My cousin knitted his brow and said the mantra was not
supposed to have quite that effect. He took the mantra
back and told me never to use it again. My TM career
ended. It was a short spiritual journey, but one of the
most enjoyable I have ever embarked upon.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy