[Buddha-l] FW: Maharishi Mahesh Yogi dies

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Fri Feb 8 02:08:59 MST 2008

Op Vr, 8 februari, 2008 02:19, schreef jkirk:
> I just read a few more comments. This one is hilarious:
> "Another 'New age' fad. It's mostly harmless until folks stop medication
> and
> sit around meditating until they die, and what's all that wierd looking
> hopping up and down like a frog all about?"
>
> Medication--maybe that's what it's really about?
>
> And here's another more in line with our list requirements:
> "If Transcendental meditation is so easy as the adverts say, why when you
> google it, you are confronted with lots of people wanting to charge you a
> fortune to teach you it, or at least sell you DVD's on how to do it
> costing
> hundreds of pounds?
> I will stick with Buddhist meditation thanks!"
> [zen_reality]
>
> Joanna
> ===============================

I practised TM from 1970 untill 1974. Later I discussed the technique with
the late Bhante Mettaviharee. It gives to much concentration in to short a
time. I saw people getting nervous breakdowns because of this. Another
effect is that it makes people gullible. I found the teachers have become
numb and there was very little compassion. When I started I paid $20,- for
the mantra (or bhija), now the fee is $3000,- I tought a guy meditation
who had followed a hopping course in Switzerland. He said that after my
instructions he finally began to understand what meditation actually was
about.

erik