[Buddha-l] RE: The mess at Bodh Gaya

Peter Friedlander P.Friedlander at latrobe.edu.au
Thu Feb 7 03:56:47 MST 2008

Hi,

To those of you interested in the Bodhgaya story I have been following the Bodhgaya story and others for some years at:

www.bodhgayanews.net

The mess is not just over the temple management, but also the wholesale destruction of Bodhgaya itself in the name of 'beautification' and development.

I believe it can be seen as a paradigm for the issues which Buddhism faces in an era of globalisation.

It demonstrates the ways in which global interests impact on local conditions and creat conflicts between how local people, national interests and international interests want to develop Buddhist sites.

regards

Peter Friedlander