[Buddha-l] The mess at Bodh Gaya

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Feb 7 07:51:04 MST 2008

Even the worst case scenario at Bodhgaya doesn't amount to anything like
the kind of vicious in-your-face desecration that has occurred at some
other sacred sites. We should distinguish between the following scenarios:

(1) the people in charge of a sacred site are involved in corruption.
(2) an ancient site that has fallen into disuse is taken over completely
by another religion.
(3) an ancient site that might still be in active use is taken over by a
new religion - but the new religion accommodates the previous "owners"
of the site in some meaningful way.
(4) an ancient site in active use is seized by the followers of another
religion - who then kill all the people who used to worship at this site
(possibly giving them the "choice" to convert), destroy the previous
structures, build their own structure on the ruins, and brag about it.

One can speculate that perhaps Bodhgaya had previously been a site where
various Deities were worshiped? Maybe it was a place sacred to the Earth
Goddess, as well as Deities associated with trees and the planet Venus.

Curt Steinmetz