[Buddha-l] Vinaya in Japan

Wong Weng Fai wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg
Sat Feb 2 22:30:07 MST 2008

I believe Saicho was not happy that the Vinaya was essentially Hinayana
Vinaya. He sort to establish his own Mahayana Vinaya and met a lot of
resistance from the Nara Hinayanists. Eventually I think he got his way
and established his own system - which eventually became the nationally
accepted way of doing things - until Shinran did away with the vinaya
with his "neither monk nor lay" deal which included allowing "monks" to
marry.

I hope the experts can comment on this.

W.F. Wong