[Buddha-l] Jung and Dignaga

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Dec 31 16:37:19 MST 2008

Seeking to fix a kind of social guilt on someone (in this case
Jung): who lived and worked in a social context which was
ambiguous and dangerous, a society where different ethnic hatreds
were rampant throughout the entire society including among the
Jews, where anti-semitism had long been justified by the majority
Christian religion, and who finally broke with the Nazi
politicians rather than wholeheartedly going along with them as
did other intellectuals of the period -- is the consequence of
delusion and hatred.
Buddhism does not support such an attitude. The aim in this
forum, at least as I understand it, is the practice of metta
(unless of course some members are playing games), as well as
seeking and commenting on the causes of destructive human
behavior.

Dhammapada 1:

3.  "He abused me, mistreated me, defeated me, robbed me."
      Harboring such thoughts keeps hatred alive.
4.   "He abused me, mistreated me, defeated me, robbed me."
       Releasing such thoughts banishes hatred.
5.    Animosity does not eradicate animosity.
       Only by loving kindness is animosity dissolved.
        This law is ancient and eternal.

Joanna