[Buddha-l] Jung and Dignaga

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Wed Dec 31 15:11:17 MST 2008

Gang,

While I spent a good deal of my graduate work on the origins of
psychoanalysis, including, importantly, the relationship between Freud
and Jung, I'm not going to comment on it here. It is, as Jayarava
pointed out, just a bit too far from Buddhism. I am sorely tempted,
but I'm not going to succumb.

Really.

No, really.

I *will*, though, comment on one thing Dan just posted:

> Yes, many [Europeans in the 1930s and 1940s] were caught up in
> the righteous exuberance of the day, partially fueled by fears of
> dangers
> real and imagined; the Cultural Revolution involved a similar
> ecstatic élan,
> with similarly disasterous consequences. The better we understand
> how this
> works, the more possibility we will have for not succumbing to similar
> disasterous exuberances in the future.

Now *that's* a fit subject for buddha-l, I think. Irrational
exuberance and fear are two poles of ignorance, the sort of ignorance
that Buddhism teaches is one of the three poisons. We humans seem to
be prone to this not only as individuals but also as nations and
cultures. I wonder why that is. I don't like the notion of "collective
karma" or even "national identity."  It never made sense to me to turn
around the Buddhist practice of breaking down and seeing through
apparent persons and things and start building up things (like the
pseudo-beings of national identities) that don't exist. Most
unskillful, it seems to me. Better to expose the roots of these
attachments and imaginary consciousnesses than glorify them.

But that gives away which side of the Freud/Jung chasm I cling to, eh?

Franz