[Buddha-l] New Thought = Old New Age

Katherine Masis twin_oceans at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 28 21:19:15 MST 2008

Erik wrote: "Does anyone have a clue what New Thought is?"
Hi, Eric
New Thought was the New Age of the turn-of-the-20th-century.  The main exponent was Ella Wheeler Wilcox.  Excerpts from her book *The Heart of the New Thought* and other books can be accessed at:
http://ellawheelerwilcox.wwwhubs.com/
William James deals with New Thought and Mary Baker Eddy’s Christian Science and similar pre-Norman-Vincent-Peale’s-positive-thinking in a rather favorable light in “The Religion of Healthy Mindedness”, i.e., Lectures IV and V of *The Varieties of Religious Experience*.
O.K., now I can safely confess my rather high score on New Age on the Belief-O-Matic test!
Katherine