[Buddha-l] Gods in Theravada (was: Will this be on the final exam?)

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Dec 26 16:13:17 MST 2008

Gombrich wrote in 1988 that the "radicalism" of the "Protestant
Buddhism" of Anagarika Dharmapala & Co., who "condemned belief in Gods
... and rejected the traditional communal religion of the Sinhalese",
"is now virtually unknown" and that not only is "spirit religion" alive
and well among Sinhalese Buddhists, but the Goddess Kali in particular
has become increasingly popular.

Gombrich emphasized the "terrible" and "irrational" aspects of Kali when
he wrote in 1988, but in 2006 Wickremeratne and Bond wrote that "In Sri
Lanka, Kali is seen as an entirely benign and helpful Goddess" with "a
gentle disposition".

So perhaps in future BN surverys, belief in Kali should be used as a
marker for Theravada Buddhism, at least in its Sri Lankan version - with
Sri Lankan Theravadins further divided between those who worship the
"terrible" Kali, and those who worship the nice one.

Curt

P.S. Gombrich 1988 is "Theravadin Buddhism: A Social History"
Wickremeratne and Bond 2006 is "Buddhism in Sri Lanka"