[Buddha-l] Will this be on the final exam?

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Dec 24 18:46:43 MST 2008

Richard Hayes wrote:

> In my own case, the two sacred spaces in which I invariably feel
> most completely comfortable and at home are Catholic churches, Sunni
> mosques and Sephardi Jewish synagogues.

Midnight Mass is a favorite of mine.

>  I love going to those places
> despite disagreeing wholeheartedly with the allegedly official beliefs
> of the people who worship there.
>

>> Christianity: 11 subcategories
>> Unitarian, Liberal Quaker, Mainline to Liberal Protestant, Christian
>> Science, Jehovah's Witness, Mormonism, Orthodox Quaker, Eastern
>> Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Mainline to Conservative Protestant, Seventh
>> Day Adventist
>>

> Make that nine subcategories, since Unitarians are not considered
> Christians by themselves or by most Christians, and liberal Quakers are
> jokingly called ABC Quakers (Anything But Christian).

Nevertheless, UU's and Quakers are both Christians. In fact Unitarians
AND Universalists were both separately Christians sects until they
joined together to form one sect.

Once a Christian always a Christian - until and unless you go through
the sacred rite of Therapeutic Blasphemy. Didn't you learn *anything*
from the FWBO, Richard?

> The deficiencies of the test are abundantly obvious and have been
> discussed at some length before. To the credit of the BeliefNet folks,
> it is classified as Entertainment.

The primary function of Beliefnet appears to be advertising. It's like
Oprah, only much worse.

> If anyone would like to know how to get 100% as both a Theravadin and a
> Unitarian, the secret is to answer "Have no opinion" and check the "Of
> little importance" boxes on everything having to do with God, the
> afterlife, creeds, rituals, saviors, angels, demons and exorcists; say
> that you very strongly favor same-sex marriage and a woman's right to
> abortion;

Actually, homosexuality and divorce are, according to Beliefnet, are
considered no-no's by Theravadin Buddhists - and "abortion is considered
murder":
http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/2001/06/What-Theravada-Buddhists-Believe.aspx

Merry Christmas!!

Curt