[Buddha-l] Cross vs. parallel cousins

Mitchell Ginsberg jinavamsa at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 31 18:13:31 MDT 2008

Hello Joanna and all,
You asked me:

So your question is about the phrase "chief consort"?
Or questioning why S's mother was chief consort?
I'm still confused as to what you are asking about.

MG: I was asking about both. I take now that the
term would be aggamahesii.

Remember, it's all foklore--you can't expect these tales to be
any more logical than other legends or folklore.
Some scholars refer to Shuddhodana as a King, others as a
Chief--on the basis that they consider his kingdom a small hill
tribe estate, not a "real kingdom"--often also referred to as a
republic.
But why are you concerned about these items?
Best, Joanna

MG: I was just trying to figure out what is going on the story
and what the relationships between the various people were.
Ah, curiosity and a desire to understand!
;o)

Mitchell
Homepage (updated 21 August 08): http://www.geocities.com/jinavamsa (with link to memorial dedication to Robert C. Solomon)
See also http://www.geocities.com/jinavamsa/mentalhealth.html