[Buddha-l] sagaramudra samadhi

M.B. Schiekel mb.schiekel at arcor.de
Sat Aug 30 12:42:29 MDT 2008

Dan Lusthaus schrieb:

 >> A friend of mine (Ralf Boeck) did find in the
 >> Astasahasrika-Prajnaparamitasutra:
 >> - 46. samâdhi: sarvadharmavibhavamudrA nAma samAdhi
 >> - 47. samâdhi: sarvadharmavibhavasamudro nAma samAdhi
 >>        with "samudro = ocean", but also "samudro = sealed"!
 >>
 >> Obviously there are many occurences of hǎiyìn sānmèi, 海印三昧, in the
 >> Avatamsaka-sutra, but until now, I have no hint of this
 >> sāgara-mudrā-samādhi in any early Sanskrit-text. Did anyone here has
 >> seen this mysterious samâdhi anywhere :-) ?

> Have you looked at E. Conze's _Materials for a Dictionary of the
> Prajnaparamita Literature_? I don't have it on hand, but that would be
> promising source.

Dear Dan,

thank you very much for your advice. Now I got Conze's _Materials for a
Dictionary of the Prajnaparamita Literature_ from our UniBib. There are
many interesting things in it - but no sāgara-mudrā-samādhi :-(

In the preface Conze mentions some shortcomings, e.g.:
"An explanation is needed of the usage with regard to the very difficult
und largely incomprehensible esoteric terminology in describing the
samadhis of a Bodhisattva."

Thank you very much,
in metta,
bernhard