[Buddha-l] Cross vs. parallel cousins

Mitchell Ginsberg jinavamsa at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 28 01:43:03 MDT 2008

Hello Joanna and all,
You write in part:
"I was addressing whether or not their being cousin-brothers and preferential cross-cousin marriage had anything to do with the case. Somehow the B's abusive langyage doesn't pose a problem for me--especially after what Devadatta tried to do to his brother. The Buddha after all was a human."

I see the explanation of cross-cousins (child of your father's sister or of your mother's brother) and also of parallel-cousins (child of your father's brother or your mother's sister), if I understand F.K. Lehman (F.K.L. Chit Hlaing)'s explanation of these terms correctly), making the B. and Devadatta parallel-cousins, I suppose, but what is the "preferential" part. I take it that Siddhartha was born of the privileged mother/sister in this story. Are there passages that explain that either in the Tipitaka or Atthakatha or Tika (or elsewhere)?

Thank you.
Mitchell
Homepage (updated 21 August 08): http://www.geocities.com/jinavamsa (with link to memorial dedication to Robert C. Solomon)
See also http://www.geocities.com/jinavamsa/mentalhealth.html