[Buddha-l] A Different Take on Devadatta

W. Codling waynewc at telus.net
Wed Aug 27 16:14:53 MDT 2008

Yes, Richard, that twigs a memory and the further details that his
lineage wore blue robes and emphasized service to others (as in hostels
where Chinese pilgrims could stay).  Do these elaborations sound
familiar?  I do not recall where I read this stuff but I know that
Buddhist communities, if they take it into their collective heads to do
so, are fully capable of demonizing a decent person who is deemed a
threat.  So it seems plausible to me.
Wayne